Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Today's Project - The Fridge

So yesterday I spent the day doing dishes (we have to do them by hand, and haven't been smart enough to wash them as we use them, so the dishes is now a project), and cleaning the kitchen.  

A few weeks ago, my wonderful husband who has much better making-everything-fit skills than I do organized the cabinets.  My favorite thing about having clean cabinets now is that the tupperware no longer falls in a dramatic avalanche every time you open the door.  Victory!

Today (because I just didn't have enough yesterday...bring it on, kitchen...bring it on) I decided to tackle a long overdue, very terrifying project - cleaning and organizing the fridge.  Now, I'm the type of person that if I'm going to do something, I want to do it right.  So last night I spent the evening researching the best way to deep clean a fridge, and the best way to store you food in said fridge.  Turns out, there's actually a way to store your food in the fridge to make it last as long as possible, and prevent health hazards for you and your loved ones (at this point I had a dork moment and got very excited at the prospect of having an organized, properly categorized fridge).  This morning I woke up, put on clothes that I don't care about, and got to work.

Before - an unorganized and really gross mess

I started by doing more dishes so the sink would be empty (it really never ends).  Next, I turned the thermostat off in the fridge (not the freezer though) and started removing everything.  As I was taking things out, I would check the expiration date.  Once I realized that this was taking too long with the door open, I decided to first empty the fridge entirely, then check dates and toss expired items.

Next, I took the fridge apart.  I took out the shelves, drawers, and door cubbies so there was nothing but an empty shell left.  I then sprayed the entire inside shell of the fridge with cleaner (I went out yesterday and bought green cleaner so I wouldn't be in toxic fumes all day) and let it soak while I washed each shelf, drawer and cubby in the sink.

After that was finished, I turned my attention back to the inside of the fridge, and wiped it down until it was clean (which took a couple of times). Now, I was finally ready to start putting the fridge back together.

Super clean!

I put all the of the shelves, drawers, and cubbies back in and started categorizing the food on the counter.  As I was organizing the food, I turned the thermostat back on to let the fridge get cold again.

Once the food was categorized, I looked at my trusty guide (I found it yesterday thanks to Google here) and started to put the food away.  I must say, I have never been more proud of a cleaning project.  Now that everything is organized and the expire food is gone, there is an extra shelf (it's actually empty!) for leftover food.  

It was a ton of work, but it was totally worth it.  Now, time for my happy dance :)

See the empty shelf?? I feel so accomplished!

Yay organization!

6 comments:

  1. Now it's time for a nap, after all that hard work! I need to organize our fridge too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I definitely slept well that night! I'm glad it's done :)

      Delete
  2. I just cleaned out Joey and my fridge last week. Something rewarding about knowing what is in there... and having a place for everything to go!

    Do I spot pumpkin butter favors from our wedding? =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yes you do! We are still enjoying the awesomeness :)

      Isn't an ordered fridge great? I had no idea it would bring me so much joy, lol

      Delete
  3. Looks great! Gotta do ours this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's so nice now that it's done, I wish I had done it sooner!

      Delete