Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Posterior Pelvic Pain

I had never heard of this until I tried to figure out what on earth I had done to my back.

Turns out, my back is not the problem, it's my pelvis, and she's being a bit of a drama queen.

Several weeks ago, I started to have pain when rolling over in bed and taking the stairs.  It was bothersome, but not severe, so I just figured I slept wrong a few too many nights and let it go.  Over the next several weeks, the pain continued to increase; basic functions like bending became uncomfortable, and walking slowed to a snail's pace.

In the last week and a half-ish I've pretty much lost the ability to walk.  I can more or less drag myself to where I need to be, but the pain is so great that I cry out with every step (or every other step, since the pain is entirely on my left side).  I'm a pretty tough cookie, but I can no longer function on a basic level, so today I am going to see my midwife.

I mentioned the pelvic pain at our last visit (about a week and a half ago), but at the time it was still manageable, though frustrating.  I think the lack of medical intervention was also my fault, because I may not have been clear on how bad the pain was, or how much it had started to interfere.  Well, now there's no hiding it, and I'm anxious to see what can be done!

In my limited Googling of this problem, I learned that the stretching of ligaments and expansion of my pelvis thanks to pregnancy hormones are what is causing the trouble.  I also learned that unless you seek medical attention (they suggested a chiropractor), it will only get worse as the pregnancy progresses.  The condition usually "spontaneously resolves itself" about 3 months after delivery, but for an unlucky few it can become chronic.  I won't be waiting to find out which camp I fall into :)

For anyone interested in reading more in depth about PPP, this is the article I found.

Any prayers for the wisdom of my midwife, and pain relief would be so appreciated!  I am offering up my dramatic pelvis for all of the women who are still waiting for their miracle; you are not forgotten!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's awful! I'm so sorry you're in such pain - you *are* a tough cookie! I would have been whining and complaining much earlier. I hope your doctor and chiropractor can help you out and help get that pain under control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! Yeah, it's a very strange phenomenon. I love my midwife, even though I just started going to her, so I'm really hopeful for today's appointment. I hope no one else has to go through this, but if they do I hope they find my post and it helps answer some questions!

      Delete
  2. Praying that the pain gets better!

    ReplyDelete