Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Ultrasounds and Rainy Days

It's a gray day outside my window, which makes me want to stay in bed with this blog all day...not today.

I remember when I was younger and I thought that the only reason you would ever get an ultrasound was if you were pregnant.  For this reason, I always looked forward to the day when I needed an u/s.  Turns out, they also use this wonderful technology to search for problems and imperfections (which of course, now seems obvious).

Today, I go in for the second u/s in my life, and they are looking for an ovarian cyst.  I have been having pain on my left side that has started radiating down my leg, and my Dr. wants to have a good idea of what she'll be dealing with during surgery.

I had this procedure done several years ago before my first surgery for Endo, and it wasn't the happy, fun experience I had always pictured.  For an abdominal u/s to be successful, you need to drink 24oz of water an hour before your exam and not go to the bathroom.  The first time I had this done that sounded simple enough.  I remember sitting in the waiting room about to burst, and then when they called me into the exam room (what felt like 2 years later) they started poking me in my very full bladder with the u/s wand while I tried desperately not to pee on the table...not a fun experience.

So today, I have accepted my fate, and will not drink anything until right before the deadline in some feeble attempt to make this time around "not so bad".  Another key to this procedure? Wear loose pants ;)

4 comments:

  1. Praying for your u/s! Yes, comfy loose pants are essential :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yeah, I just about pee'd all over my last ultrasound. After I went to relieve myself before the internal u/s, the tech got really chatty, and explained that she doesn't talk to people while they have to go to the bathroom so bad. Anyway, I hope it went well today. I remember I used to think ultrasounds were a good thing too :( It sucks how even the smallest things can be completely different when facing IF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I really thought I was going to burst in the waiting room, but the u/s went well. The tech I had was really sweet and told me when she was almost done, which helped. I asked her during the procedure if anyone had ever actually pee'd themselves waiting, and she said it hasn't happened for years but that it used to happen all the time! I thought that was pretty funny, and also reassuring :) Also, I think my loose sweat pants really helped, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your blog! I hope the best for you two!

    ReplyDelete